Orange fleshed sweet potato in Nigeria (OFSP) also known as “Solo Gold is a variety of sweet potato with high dry matter and a lot of nutrients. This variety of sweet potato is tolerant to sweet potato weevil and also resistant to sweet potato viral disease, it matures in three to four months. Orange Fleshed sweet potato also has powerful antioxidants that help prevent cancers.
Orange fleshed sweet potato is a staple food for the populace in Nigeria because it is affordable and also contain sustainable source of Vitamin A. OFSP can be consumed as a vegetable (boiled, fried, raw or roasted) as well as in different products through processing and value addition for improved household food intake.
Also, different varieties of food/snacks can be made from OFSP when processed into flour this includes Amala, Puff-puff, chips, cake, porridge, bread, juice, and Kunu. These products can be commercialized for income generation, job, and wealth creation for all, especially women and youth.
Orange-Fleshed Sweet Potato has enormous health benefits recommended for domestic consumption. This variety of sweet potatoes is versatile. It can contribute to food security and improvement in the health of Nigerians.
Benefits of Orange Fleshed Sweet Potato (OFSP)
• Orange-Fleshed Sweet Potato (OFSP) has enormous health benefits including its ability to help gain weight and boost immunity. It also helps ease digestion, in treating bronchitis, arthritis, and stomach ulcers.
• Helps prevent Vitamin A deficiency: Of the many varieties of sweet potatoes, Orange Fleshed Sweet Potato is highly rich in beta-carotene. Beta-carotene is an excellent source of Vitamin A.
• Helps improve digestion: Like other sweet potatoes, Orange-Fleshed Sweet Potato is high in fibre and has a good taste. There is also the presence of magnesium in the OFSP. These properties combined improve digestion a great deal. They are easy to digest since they are mainly starch.
• Treatment of inflammation: Like common potatoes and sweet potatoes, Orange-Fleshed Sweet Potato has anti-inflammatory properties. This is basically due to the presence of beta-carotene, vitamin C, and magnesium. They are very effective in curing internal and external inflammations.
• Boosts immune system: Orange-Fleshed Sweet Potato is rich in beta-carotene. Beta-carotene is a major antioxidant and together with phosphorus, iron, Vitamin C, and Vitamin B complex and iron. They are a very good immune booster, preventing your body from a variety of ill conditions.
• Reduces arthritis pain: Sweet potatoes generally are high in beta-carotene, magnesium, zinc, and Vitamin B and so are important in managing arthritis. Use the water after boiling sweet potatoes externally on joints to ease the pain of arthritis.
• Treats stomach ulcers: Sweet potatoes generally have a soothing effect on the stomach and the intestines. They contain vitamin B-complex, vitamin C, beta-carotene, potassium, and calcium. These are good in curing stomach ulcers.
• Helps prevent dehydration: Like sweet potatoes, Orange-Fleshed Sweet Potato is high in fibre. This helps the body to retain water. This helps maintain water balance in your body, keeping the cells functioning efficiently.
• Helps control diabetes: OFSP helps proper secretion and function of insulin. The insulin helps in effective regulation of blood sugar levels. Notwithstanding, we recommend that diabetics should eat them very cautiously.
Products from Orange-Fleshed Sweet Potato
*Bread and other bakery products
Land preparation and Planting of OFSP
OFSP can be planted on a flat surface or a bed can be raised with a spacing of about 1.5m in width, the height of beds should be 10-30cm, organic manure can be mixed with the soil before planting.
OFSP is planted with the vines inserted in the soil at an angle with a spacing of 50cm between rows and 30cm from plant to plant cutting.
Weed Control and Field Management
Always ensure the soil is moist and maintained at all times, avoid waterlogged area. Ensure weeds are not competing with the plant within the 4-5weeks by manually removing the weeds.
Orange-Fleshed Sweet Potato Pdf
For more information about Orange Flesh Sweet Potatoes in Nigeria, download this free Pdf. Click here
You can also contact Gogreen Africa Initiative Abeokuta, Ogun state to get started
Ambassador. Adeniyi Sola Bunmi
Chief Executive Officer
Gogreen Africa Initiative Abeokuta, Ogun state
Did you enjoy this post? Share your thought in the comment box
Also, subscribe to our newsletter now and get other useful posts delivered to your email box.