Good pig feed contains sufficient energy, protein, minerals& vitamins. It is advisable to feed your pigs twice a day (morning and evening). The age of your pig depends on the type of feed they will eat. Young pigs need succulent diet high in amino acid. After three months, young pigs could be put on adult feed that will have lower levels of protein. Aside from concentrates (formulated feed), you can offer your pigs other feedstuffs like grass, vegetables and kitchen waste.
What makes up the pigs feed
– Fat and oil
Some feed ingredient for formulation of pigs diet.
• Maize- Grains forms major constituent of the
feed. It is a good source of energy, Metabolizable energy of about 3300kcal/kg, with about 10% crude protein.
• Maize offal- this is a complimentary source of energy. It contains about 2500kcal/kg. the fibre level is higher than that of maize
• Wheat offal- another complimentary source of energy. It contains about 1800Kcal ME/kg
• Brewer dry grains- this is a by products of brewers industries. The energy level is low and about 18% crude protein. It contains high fibre content of about 20%.
• Palm kernel cake (PKC)- this is one of the major ingredient in formulating pig’s ration due to low cost compared to other feed ingredient. It protein content is about 18% and energy value is about 2000Kcal ME/Kg
• Fish meal- it is a good source of animal protein. It is rich in both essential and non-essential amino acid.
• Groundnut cake (GNC)- it is a good source of plant protein. Contains about 45% crude protein.
• Soybean meal- another good source of plant protein, contain around 45% crude protein.
• Bone meal- this is a good source of calcium and phosphorus which is responsible for bone and skeleton.
• Oyster shell- another good source of calcium.
• Sweet potato- this is also a good source of energy. Boiled sweet potato could be given to pig directly.
• Cassava- cassava is a good source of energy but with low protein. The major limitation in using cassava is the presence of anti-nutritional factor. Cassava/cassava peel must be properly dried before been fed or incorporated with other feed ingredient.
REQUIREMENT FOR DIFFERENT GROWTH STAGES OF PIG
|Stages of production||% protein||Energy Kcal/kg|
PIG FEED COMPOSITION
|Brewers dry grain||15.0||13.0||10.0|
|Ground nut cake||8.0||3.0||3.0|
|Palm kernel cake||6.1||15.0||11.0|